Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Text Set Beginnings

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
by Verna Aardema with pictures by Leo and Diane Dillon

For my text set, I want to begin with the book Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears. It is an African tale that deals with the consequences of lying among a group of animals in the forest. The illustrations in the story are striking and provide parallels to the feelings of the animals at different points of the story. I would love to use this story with my students to deal with lying. My students have no problem telling lies, even when a teacher sees them doing something wrong. I find this story very compelling with serious consequences to show them that their actions have real consequences.

Because the illustrations are so striking and original in this book, I would pick the National Museum of African Art in Washington, DC. I think that images and masks found at the museum could serve as an interesting comparison to the illustrations. Also, looking at how African artists use color to evoke emotion would strengthen the connection.



4 comments:

Andy Gomez said...

Liz, I think this is a fabulous idea. I did a similar thing with this book when I taught first grade and it worked out so well. The beauty of this book as you say are the illustrations so it helps deliver the message. I mentioned in another post about the fact that we have so many great institutions in our backyard and it's imperative to really take advantage of them. I don't know how many of your students have been to that specific museum, so I think that could really solidify the message for them.

campos said...

Olson, I love this book! I read it with my 4th graders last year and they loved it, too. The idea of using this beautiful, African-styled book is a great one. My children also seem to have no problem lying or avoiding any and all consequences. I think this book is great for making the connection between actions and consequences, especailly for the littles.

Leensa said...

Liz,

I have used this book for an author study I did last year with Verna Aardema. We read this book in a different context, exploring porquoi tales (stories that tell why or how things came to be). It's interesting how the moral of the story does not stand out as much to me because of our focus.

I am interested in the connections you make in your text set regarding the social issue of lying. Have you been to the African American Art Museum? My disappointment with the museum will probably stir up an entirely different social issue. I find the exhibits to be rather small and often spend more time in the book store than actually seeing the art work. I also find it a little bothersome that the physical museum is sort of tucked away, "hidden" off the Mall. The African Art museum is all the way in Anacostia, nearly inaccessible by public transportation (also bothersome to me). I think there are many implications here, but again, a different social issue.

I wish I had a local monument/site to give you as an alternative that could enrich this African text. I feel like the Kennedy Center often has children's programs about diverse cultures that range from plays to musical or dance performances. I'll keep you in mind... there's just gotta be something better!

MV said...

Liz, my question for you would be what you will do to frame your text set from a critical literacy perspective. Leensa offers you a powerful position from which to do this ... through a critique of the American African Art Museum.

In terms of the lying issue I would ask what the circumstances are that results in lying...as a tool to do what sorts of life work?

Thanks
vivian